Thursday, June 20, 2013

Potty Training Hell

I decided I needed a bit of self-flagellation, so this past week I started potty training with Ella. In case you have never gone through potty training hell before, here is what you need: 

-A lobotomy 
-Lots of booze (read: don't attempt this while almost 25 weeks pregnant)
-The willingness to read the same book over and over and over 
-A fondness for being enclosed in small spaces 
-The ability to put on your game face and act cheerful every time your toddler puts even a single dribble of pee in the toilet

Seriously, though, she is doing much better than I expected. We're on day three and today she only had one accident. I still have her in a diaper for naps and bedtime, despite the potty training book I read telling me I would ruin the process, because I know she is not capable of holding her bladder for 12 hours at night. Heck, I can't even hold my bladder all night, pregnant or not. Plus the fact she is still in a crib means it would be pretty much impossible for her to get over to the bathroom if she woke up and needed to go at night (read: mama ain't dragging her ass out of bed). 

Despite the fact she is doing so well, it's been way more mentally taxing than I anticipated. The past few mornings I've woken up and thought about putting her back in diapers because it would be way more convenient for me. I know I need to bite the bullet and see this thing through to the end. But man, it would be better with booze. 

No comments:

Post a Comment