Thursday, January 10, 2013

Easy Learning Activity for 1 Year Olds


I know a lot of readers of this blog have young kiddos themselves, so I thought I'd share an easy learning activity that I do with Ella. I'm a big believer that learning at this age should be fun and informal, and I try to incorporate teaching her into things she already likes to do. Since she is big right now on taking things in and out of containers, I decided to channel that energy into helping her learn to distinguish colors.  



This activity is incredibly simple. All you need are pom poms and an ice cube tray. I found the pom poms at Hobby Lobby- I want to say they were under $2 for a big bag of assorted sizes. All I do is put a couple of different colored ones in the ice cube tray compartments, then she sorts the rest into a bin with the matching color. She doesn't get it 100% (I'd be shocked if she did at this age) and after a couple of minutes it usually devolves into dumping the tray out and throwing the pom poms around her playroom. In the time that it lasts, though, it's a great little activity for helping her distinguish colors, match things up, and refine her motor skills.

The bigger pom poms are a huge favorite of hers as well. She likes seeing all the different types of containers she can put them into- tupperware, baskets, bowls. Seriously one of my best purchases recently. 

And for those of you worried about her eating them- well, she did try. However, they are fuzzy and apparently her sophisticated palate decided they weren't as tasty as things like dog food, and she hasn't tried since. 

No comments:

Post a Comment