Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Tuna fish, we meet again

In my last post I mentioned my love of Lenten Fish Fries. I forgot until this morning that along with Fish Fries, Lent also brings one of my most hated foods: canned tuna fish.

If you didn't already know, Catholics are supposed to abstain from eating meat on Fridays in Lent, as well as Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. I tend to solve this problem by eating a vegetarian meal or having some sort of fish filet. Jim tends to solve this by making tuna fish sandwiches.

I have several issues with canned tuna fish.

1. It comes in a can that looks like it could be mistaken for cat food (which, in my opinion, it probably is)

2. It looks like something my toddler ate then spit out

3. It makes the entire house reek and requires hours of fumigation/gas masks/candles to get rid of the smell

4. It is generally paired with one of my other most hated foods, celery

5. Tuna can be absolutely delicious when it is served properly (mmm, ahi tuna) and it's insulting to me that someone decided to turn something scrumptious into a pile of cat puke

Every year I debate whether canned tuna fish is too much of a price to pay for the crispy greasy goodness of Friday Fish Fry. Maybe in true Catholic fashion I should just offer it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment