Wednesday, April 24, 2013

At least she's honest

I think all kids have this sixth sense about when their parents actually need to get stuff done or be out the door by a particular time. They then use this power to misbehave as much as possible until it dawns on the parent that nothing is actually going to get accomplished that day.

Take this past Monday morning as an example. I had an OB appointment in the morning, hoped to make it to MOPS afterward, and then had the unrealistic expectation to swing by the grocery store in the way home. When I got out of the shower, I could hear Ella shrieking and banging stuff around in the living room. I poked my head out of the bedroom door and asked her, "Do you want to come in the bedroom and help Mommy get ready?"

She looked up from trying to dump my water bottle on the table. "No."

I sighed, smiled, put on my most convincing Mommy voice, and asked, "Do you want to go in the kitchen and help Daddy get breakfast?"

"NO!"

Okay then. I jokingly asked her, "Do you want to stay out here and get into trouble?"

A big grin spread across her face. "Yeah yeah yeah!"

Sometimes being a mom is about knowing when to shut the bedroom door and admit defeat.


No comments:

Post a Comment