Saturday, December 21, 2013

Today you are two

My darling, wild girl,

Today you are two. I stop and think about this, and all that comes to mind is, "Where have the past two years gone?" I swear the last time I looked at you, you looked something like this:


Then I blinked, and you looked something like this: 


And then I blinked again, and realized you have entirely left babyhood behind. 



There is so much I want to say to you about this past year. I know you won't understand it all and if I tried to tell you, you would interrupt me after a minute or two with a request to instead sing a song or read or drink an imaginary cup of coffee or play doctor or some sage observation like that sometimes pants don't have pockets. 

More than anything, I am proud of how loving and nurturing you are. I watch you take care of your sister, your baby dolls, the younger kids in play groups, and sometimes even your mama. As you grow older, I hope you will continue to be kind. You have taught me the importance of random hugs, because everyone needs to be reminded that they are loved. 

Your dad and I are constantly in awe of your inventiveness and problem-solving. Can't reach the ornaments on the Christmas tree? Well, get a hair brush to extend your reach and bat them down. Not enough toys at your grandparents' house? Nothing quite like taking the hinge off the door. Right now you are very into playing doctor. You don't have a doctor kit, so you decided to make yourself a stethoscope out of a necklace, use my makeup brush holder for your blood pressure cuff, a makeup brush as a tongue depressor, and a bubble wand as an eye-examiner thingy (yes, the very technical term). I know as frustrating as it is for me to have to search the house for my brushes, this aspect of your personality is going to serve you well for the rest of your life. In the rare moments when you are sitting still, I know the wheels in your head are turning and you are busy trying to figure things out.  

I love watching you be silly. Throughout the day you will decide to spin in circles, or make funny faces, or do stuff that I have no clue what it's all about but the giggles tell me you clearly are having a blast. Your infectious laugh reminds me not to always take things so seriously. 

I am so excited to see what you will be up to in this next year- knowing you, some of it will be mischief. I am sure this next year is going to fly by as quickly as the first two. In the midst of our hectic, crazy, chaotic life, I hope you always know how much I love you and how even when I am ready to pull my hair out over hearing the words, "Uh oh Mama!" I am savoring these days with you. 

Happy 2nd Birthday, my sweet big girl! 

No comments:

Post a Comment